Do you have a toaster over? How about your office? Then you are in luck! Frozen egg rolls are great in your lunch box. They defrost in the fridge while you work. They are very yummy and will go fast. So make a lot!
- Double this recipe and use one large soup pot for everything.
- Once the seitan / tofu is fried, let the steam from the cabbage and the soy sauce deglaze the bottom of the soup pot.
- If using tofu, dry / press well before frying, as the tofu holds a lot of water and may cause the oil to splash. Coat with flour before frying. This will soak up any left over liquid and help with frying.
- This may be a two person job. It's a big help if one person stuff and the other does the frying.
- Freeze only after frying. The wrap isn't forgiving to liquids before its cooked.
- There is always an option to bake in an oven at 375 F for 15 min. Rotate and bake for another 10-15 min until golden brown.
- Additional options for filling: mushroom, bean sprouts, minced garlic.
- I use Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce:
- Organic Vegetarian
1 tsp minced ginger
4 oz seitan (1/2 package) or tofu (1/2 package) diced into small cubes
1 tsp vegetable seasoning or mix of own spices such as salt, paprika, garlic powder (optional)
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot
3 green onions
1-2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS vegan worcestershire sauce (optional)
Oil for shallow frying. Canola, safflower or other high heat oils are good.
- Use a TBS of oil & fry the seitan or tofu for 5 min, add ginger and seasoning for 6-8 or until it starts to brown.
- Over medium heat add to pan: cabbage, carrots, seitan / tofu, green onions, soy sauce, westchester sauce. Stir and saute until the cabbage wilts slightly, about 10 min. The color & firmness of cabbage will change.
- Let cool & drain if necessary.
Steps on how to roll an egg roll will be posted